When starting a project, you have to decide in which technology and with which software it will be created. For example, web development companies: they usually opt for PHP-based frameworks. One of the most popular of these is the Symfony. To what does it owe its popularity?
What is the Symfony?
Symfony was developed in 2011 under an open-source license. It is based on the MVC, which is extremely appreciated in this solution. It also works with a long list of databases like the Drizzle, MySQL, SQLServer, SQLite, Oracle and many others. In terms of what makes it distinctive on the market, Symfony was developed for large projects that are still under development. Examples of projects that use this framework are: Magento, PrestaShop or Drupal. The software works on the principle of modules. Many independent packages of files contain certain functionalities, which enables to make the written code independent from the system. It also makes it easier to use once written parts in new projects.
Key advantages of the Symfony
Several specific features can be mentioned that characterise this framework and distinguish it from others. Among these advantages can be listed:
- Speed of operation. Symfony is highly optimised in terms of speed. In case of high-volume projects this is especially important due to the large amount of information to be processed. Many developers choose this framework primarily because of its speed.
- Flexibility. Already at the start stage, the software developer has a choice to make. You can choose an extended Full Stack Framework of the Symfony, create your own brick-by-brick version, or choose a microframework with key features. However, the Symfony is very flexible at every stage and you can easily customise it.
- New features. At every stage you can easily add new features in the form of plugins. Thanks to the aforementioned you do not have to plan all aspects of your projects at the beginning. You can always install additional packages, where needed.
- Symfony is characterised by a professional approach to a code development. You will find all the tools you need and you can simply develop the subsequent lines of code. The framework relies on the use of good practices while working, which makes it easier to optimise the created applications later on.
- Code testing. Written code often has bugs. In order to eliminate them, you need to test your application. The Symfony has powerful tools to help you test all your code, which makes it easier to create bug-free code.
- The advantage of open-source projects is the support of the community associated with the solution. The same is true for the popular PHP frameworks. Symfony also has a community supporting its work and willing to advise on the best solutions.
- Continuous development. An access to documentation and regular updates promises well for the future and allow you to always use the most up to date solutions.
- State-of-the-art. Thanks to the aforementioned characteristics, the Symfony is a modern solution that meets the current requirements of developers and clients of applications developed with the use of this framework.
Are these all the advantages? There are certainly many more strengths to be found in the Symfony. But the ones mentioned above clearly show that it is a framework made for developers and makes their work easier.
MVC layered architecture in the Symfony
One of the greatest advantages of the Symfony framework is its layered architecture. The term MVC means three independent layers:
- Model, i.e., a description of the data structure and all relationships between the individual elements.
- View. Under this heading falls the user interface.
- Controller. An intermediate layer, connecting the other two and allowing changes to be made.
The MVC architecture is named after the first letters of the layer names. Why is it so important? It is of great assistance when it comes to manage the whole application. It divides the code into many logical, separated parts and allows to make local modifications that do not affect the rest of the application.
Is Symfony the best framework for every enterprise?
Every project must be developed using some kind of technology. Symfony is one of the proposals. Its popularity clearly shows that this choice is often found among different projects. This is because of the many advantages that distinguish this framework from others.
The great flexibility of the Symfony makes it possible to create complex and large projects as well as to work on small tasks. It is up to the developer to choose how many additional modules he or she will need during the work.
Thanks to the MVC architecture, making changes is very easy. Each time, the changes concern only a small part of the project on which work is in progress. The rest of the code remains unchanged.
Eventually, the Symfony also enables you to test your code and fix any bugs. The professional approach to developer’s work and the emphasis on good practices makes it easier to work with applications at a later stage.